Saturday, March 12, 2011

March Update

A lovely vintage Pin Cushion Doll (shot in my office) SOLD

Life is shuffling along just fine post Curious Sofa. Since closing the store my home has suddenly become a photo studio with props, backgrounds and merchandise scattered about. If only I had the means to build that wonderful studio in my giant back yard! Although my home is small, it is the perfect palette to use for shooting images for all the new (and old!) product I am offering online.

Distressed Wooden Peacock Tray shot in my living room.

Most of the shooting is happening in my office which is painted a lovely medium grey color. It has a large picture window too offering tons of natural light and a smaller window with a crochet curtain.

A new Victorian Display Hand shot in my office.

My tea stained bedroom wallpaper has worked perfectly for hanging pictures with the gauzy white window treatments.

An antique pair of Oval Prints shot in my bedroom.

The living room is a soft creamy color with the infamous fireplace, lots of natural light and curtains that are a bit different with a subtle pattern.

In my living room an Antique Shaving Mirror.

The dining room has become the holding area with my table covered with tools and props but it is also painted neutral with natural light.

I love the shape of this new Pendulum Clock.

I use the kitchen a lot because it is a painted a lighter grey with wooden counter tops and a lacy door panel.

In my sunny kitchen, a new Sunflower Watering Can.

And as crazy as it sounds, I just love the bleached out grey stairs to my screened in porch so they became the perfect backdrop for this wire dog.

Pearl is a bit miffed why her new friend won't play! Dachshund Topiary Form.

That just about covers every kind of backdrop I might need, although now I am buying different tablecloths, surfaces and curtains to switch things out as needed. Now I know a little how Martha used to feel when every room in her home was being used for her magazine! (Does this mean a big write-off come next tax season? I think so!!)

For over two months now I have had a stash of antiques to post online and slowly they are making an appearance to the website. I will soon change up the categories and disperse the antiques where they belong. I am adding a Display category for all you retailers and crafters that love show pieces.




I am also adding a Provisions category soon with my favorite wires, garlands, tools and such.



Back in stock: Burlap Garland

Also, by popular demand I have added American Express and PayPal to our payment options. I am also keeping the Four Seasons categories and adding Fall and Christmas items as I find them so be sure and check there too.


New goods from market have started to appear and I am loving these items as well:


Remember my friend and local artist Lesa Dailey? We had her sell her originals in the store for a few events but now you can buy her new Easter designs here. Someone has finally discovered Lesa and I am thrilled to carry her line. No one does handcrafting like she can and every little feather, bow and collar have her special touch.

Queen Bird by Lesa Dailey

White Birdie Ornament by Lesa Dailey (Blue and Pink too!)

This month I am headed to Round Top, Texas and will certainly be bringing back great antiques from there. I am so excited to meet up with friends I have not seen in a year and if all goes as planned, be towing my new vintage camper behind me!!!! Friday I am heading to Warsaw, MO to see one I found on Craig's List. It is not as unique as I would like, but it looks solid and has already been renovated. I finally got a hold of myself and realized I could decorate the heck out of it anyway, so who cares what the shape is? The cuter, funkier campers that I really want can run from $2,000 to $7,000 and I just cannot do that especially since I am new at this pulling-the-camper/living-on-the-road-thing and at $3.50 a gallon now (!!!) I need to take it slow. Someone told me, "Hey this could be your new thing to buy these old campers and decorate them and resell them!" Now that's the kind of flipping houses I could do!!

$$$ Probably Yes

$$$$$ Definitely No

My other news is that I received a wonderful opportunity from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. I am producing a ten-page editorial for their Halloween Ideas issue! This came to me literally 48 hours after I closed the store and the contract was finalized this week. I don't want to give away too much but let me tell you, this is going to be one BEAUTIFUL Halloween spread. It is not gory or gothic or spooky and no it does not include Marie Antoinette with crows in her hair!! This is all I'll tell you: Alice will be getting curiouser and curiouser... tee hee.


16 comments:

  1. Debbie-FABULOUS post!!!!! So glad to see what you have been up to and looks like you are getting GREAT things in.

    And I think that homely little camper is frikking adore. able. are you kidding??? What you could do with that (somehow I see you painting it to look like old wallpaper..) since you have so much "spare time" now.......

    The very best to you, Deb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are having adventures....I think the camper you are looking at is great.....Your at home photo shoots are beautiful.....hope all is well! ps thinking about going to silver bella not back to the creative connection in november wanna be roomies??XXOO YOUR STALKER patrice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the camper I am hoping for does have some charm. A little more than some I was looking at because it is a 1966. I have plans to 'embellish' the outside and well the inside, just wait!!

    YES! I could use a roommate at Silver Bella but will certainly be in Minnesota too for Junk Bonanza! Oh wait, I may never stay in a hotel again if I have a camper. Bring yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay so we could camp but i am 13 hours from minn.....and omaha well not even sure....I hope you get the camper very exciting!!!!I would love junk bonanza again they have move the creative connection to st paul and are not linking it with the bonanza this year...SERIOUSLY lets try to get a plan a rally!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you know, Debbie, you would be the one to be successful at flipping those. Everything you put your fingers to turn to gold.
    You know we want to see more of your house don't you? It is always transforming and it is inspiring..even if we can only just dream of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an uplifting update from you! I'm so happy that things are continuing to evolve to those better places I knew were out there for you. The BH&G opportunity is absolutely PERFECT for your Halloween talents...can hardly wait to see what you're doing. And the camper? Well, it will be somethin' I'm sure! Please share your progress as you can. We care. And admire. And send you warm wishes for success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! Looks like you have been very busy!

    Love your sweet lil' camper! I seasonal camp and swoon every time one makes it to our campground. I just wanted to knock on the door and ask to take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 'behind the scenes' post where you photograph your wares in your own home.

    Lesa Dailey is very talented. Does she have a blog?

    I love your new vintage camper and can't wait to see how you decorate it. I know it will be FABULOUS!

    I love, love, love Halloween and I'm so excited for your feature with BH&G!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as I know, Lesa does not have a blog. Which made me laugh because it is all we can do to get her to make enough stuff for a show! At Silver Bella last November she literally sold out in 20 minutes! 20 MINUTES!! She loves her craft but loves her family more and does just enough production to satisfy herself. Got to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the gray of your walls, do you remember the color name and make...Thanks so much, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE it!Your beautiful home is the perfect display backdrop Debbie!I cant wait to buy some goodies from you~ Hugs,Rachel

    French Farmhouse 425
    www.shabbyfrenchforme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you get your cute camper Debbie!

    Everything you have on offer looks delightful. Can't wait to see your Halloween article later this year, better have some of your usual funky too, don't make it too tame! Congrats. on getting the assignment, Better Homes & Gardens is right on target picking YOU!!!!

    Happy Round Top trip - I envy you!

    Mary - A Breath of Fresh Air

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Debbie for your beautiful visit, and comment on your way out.
    Love your treasured finds, and would love to shop right along side of you. I remember when I first got to know you through R/H and your small home beckoned me in to read on, being inspired by every soulful thing you added to each page.

    I love the way you flea market, turning your restful place into a place to love.

    I too am soft oatmill creams, whites and grays, like weathere driftwood. I went as far as to strip down my oak table top to give it little color to reproduce the spooled top table you had that completed a look I had to have.

    Thank you Debbie for all that you inspire.
    Please visit soon.
    xx
    Friends in the world of passionate junking in euro flea market finds.

    ~Dore

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hate to start a comment with a senior moment but...you could be like ____ who took armoires and made kitchens inside them or offices, etc. remember her? LOL. Painted diamond patterns, etc. on everything. Only you would do little campers for sale...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though I am a Texas girl.living right by First Monday, this was my first trip to Round Top, but not my last...I am sooo excited about your BH and G deal. I have admired you for years and am always telling people when they comment on this or that someone is didplaying now, that you are the original deal!
    Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha love the little old trailer! have you done anything to it yet? (will be fun to see pictures;)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!