Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The E Word

The room above is pulled together with a great mix of styles: Modern cow hide chaise with chrome, Renaissance chair with tattered upholstery, primitive chippy paint pedestal, antique illustrations, leather books, raw-wood door.

In this day and age of collecting, junking, and re-purposing, it is easy for all of us to call our interiors "eclectic", but what is eclectic really? And how can we pull an eclectic interior together to be something more than just a glorified hodge-podge?! In the words of my mentor Carol Bolton, "It takes a lot of work to make something look undecorated." Amen sister. I found some images that I feel kick eclectic into a true decorator style.

Modern desk, retro style sofa, Asian table, Persian rug,
traditional painting.

Don't be fooled: eclectic style should be carefully handpicked; ask anyone who does it really well. What you assemble is very important: the textures, periods, shapes and styles may look haphazard, but keeping your eye sharp to see what will coordinate together is key.

Touches of black tie this eclectic mix together: Rug, bust, pillow and chair as well as the gold frames and crystal chandelier working together and the pink throw with pink art.

Yes, eclectic can be all white too: 50's chairs, modern table, contemporary art, crystal chandelier, ethnic chair, primitive handmade tables, industrial lamp.

Keeping it minimal can also be eclectic by choosing large objects with big drama: Graphic art, Buddha statue, leather club chair, ethnic fabric.

The room above is more of what we think of as eclectic style: a room full of every shape, size, color and style imaginable but still edited with a keen eye: Something gaudy and gold, something modern and clean, something worn and used; a pattern, a solid, square shape, round shape, wonky statue. This works above because of using items on a larger scale. I also like the giant branch in the corner to soften all these gallery-like objects. And notice how the giant mirror was left on its shipping frame! Love that.

Super minimal: Ultra-cool modern chairs sitting alone in a turn of the century ornate interior.



LOOK FOR CURIOUS SOFA HERE:

Website Etsy Facebook
Twitter Pinterest Flickr Blog
..

1 comment:

  1. I always have a little private laugh to my self when I hear the term eclectic....a few years ago after we had 're-done' a room in our house, at a family gathering, where most of them have houses full of matchy matchy sets of everything, and it all appears very 'perfect' to the guest upon entering..., a cousin of mine asked me to define MY style as she was looking around....not really 'getting' my (look and style of repurposing and using trash to treasures and antiques and my kids stuff and my stuff and alot of it, I often struggle with a stuttering problem when nervous, so in my haste to explain or perhaps DEFEND my own personal style I confused the 2 words....ecentric and eclectic and the word that came out was ELECTRIC!! we both laughed our heads off....but to this day I refer to my 'style' as ELECTRIC.... and I love it...

    Each to our own....Love it while you live it....

    i love your style too...

    BLess you!!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!